MHG2133 - Broch, Green Hill, Reiss


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Green Hill (NAT) Broch (NR) OS 6" map, (1968)

'Norwall Broch', South Kilmster, ruins of which are partially exposed, is in a partly excavated grassy mound and plan by John Nicolson, Lybster, was made then. The wall thickness is 13.5ft, and the interior diameter is 26ft. Outside broch, and to N of entrance passage the remains of considerable outbuildings have been uncovered. Finds from broch were donated to NMAS by C S T Calder in 1947-8.
RCAHMS 1911; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1950.

The broch is situated on a v gentle NE-facing slope and has been cut off from higher ground to SE by a broad ditch, now under the plough, but still about 1m deep. The broch, which has max height of 2.6m on NW side, is now entirely grassed over and no trace of any wall is evident except for a few exposed stones on S side of the entrance passage, which is in W side.
The court is 9.2m diam and has a max depth of 1.1m below present top of broch. No traces of outbuildings mentioned by RCAHMS are evident; 7m N of entrance, in a hollow is an upright stone slab 0.7m high by 0.4m broad and 0.2m thick, possibly a door jamb.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (E G C) 22 April 1963.

No change except that the slab noted is part of outbuildings, of which nothing further can be seen on ground.
Visited by OS (J M) 27 July 1982.

RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 148, No. 508 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

PSAS, 1950, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 82 1947-8, p.315-25, 317 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG580.

Sources/Archives (2)



Grid reference Centred ND 3266 5445 (70m by 70m)
Map sheet ND35SW
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.