MHG21481 - Dog cemetery, Brahan Castle
19th century dog cemetery at Brahan Castle.
Type and Period (1)
- ANIMAL CEMETERY (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NH55SW0087
Noted as a Dog's cemetery on OS 1:10000 map. <1>
The dog cemetery was visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. The dog cemetery is surrounded by thick bushes on all sides. It consists of three rows of small, uniform, upright gravestones, two at right angles to each other, with the third a few metres away. There are two other stones which do not form part of these rows. All of the gravestones mark dog burials from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Most record the names and dates of the dogs. A stone notable for its inscription reads: ‘In memory of Cruiser. For 15 years the faithful friend and companion of Colonel Stewart Mackenzie of Seaforth. He accompanied the 9th Lancers throughout the Afghan Campaigns 1878-79-80, including the march from Kabul to Kandahar. Born 1878, Died 1893.’ <2><3>
This dog cemetery lies in one of two clearings within a circular enclosure that is probably much older. <4>
<1> Ordnance Survey, 1964-73, Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a (Image/Map). SHG23419.
<2> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<3> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
<4> Marshall, M, 01/2005, Archaeological record of a circular feature within the gardens of the former Brahan Castle, Ross-shire (Text/Manuscript). SHG25448.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1964-73. Ordnance Survey 25 inch map: Epoch 5a. Digital.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
- <4> Text/Manuscript: Marshall, M. 01/2005. Archaeological record of a circular feature within the gardens of the former Brahan Castle, Ross-shire. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5138 5441 (31m by 21m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.