MHG21674 - Mackenzie Foundation School, Mackenzie Place, Avoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SCHOOL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Ross and Joass, 1863. Scottish Baronial. Asymmetrical composition of headmaster's house with lower school block to
east. House: tall, 2 storey asymmetrical 3 bay front with advanced and crowstepped gabled left bay with canted bay
window; 3 storey and attic crowstep-gabled tower at right; second floor of tower slightly projected on continuous
corbel-course; 4 steeply pedimented dormerheads at attic, formerly containing clock faces; armorial plaque bearing
Mackenzie arms contained in stepped string course above entrance door at battered base of tower. Centre bay has
lancet at ground floor with tripartite stair window above.
School range: cruciform plan, single storey and attic with lower single storey crowstepped east arm; south arm has demi-octagonal end. South dormer with 2 light Gothic glazing; large Gothic windows in east and north gables (partly blocked at east).
Coursed red sandstone rubble, pale polished sandstone dressings. Cast iron finials. Slate roof.
School known locally as Ross's School. Now used as school kitchen. Appears on 1871 OS map as Episcopal School. Stone
plaque on tower inscribed:- "TO THE HONOR OF ALMIGHTY GOD AND AS A TRIBUTE TO THE MEMORY OF JOHN MACKENZIE ESQ OF BISHOPGATE LONDON THIS INSTITUTION WAS FOUNDED BY A BROTHER AND A SISTER, HIS TWO SURVIVING CHILDREN 1856." <1>
Information from a participant in the Black Isles Heritage Memories project; school founded for the children of the Mill workers and the ‘deserving poor’. Had link to Episcopal Church in Fortrose. <2>
- <1> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 390.
- <2> Text/Report: McCullagh, C. 09/2010. Black Isle Heritage Memories: Remembering your Community Avoch, Culbokie and Tore. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. A32.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6993 5522 (49m by 68m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB390 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/105182 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.