MHG2184 - Chambered Cairn, Ormiegill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
An Orkney-Cromarty short, horned cairn with a Camster- type chamber, excavated by J Anderson and R I Shearer in 1865. It is now greatly dilapidated and what remains of the interior structure is partly masked by modern building inside the chamber.
The finds, listed in detail by Miss Henshall, are either in NMAS or lost, and include flint implements, a grey stone mace-head (EO 131) and pottery, classified by Feachem as Western Neolithic.
A S Henshall 1963; R W Feachem 1963.
As described by the previous authorities.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R L) 25 April 1967.
This short horned cairn seems to have originated as a round chambered cairn about 25ft in diameter.
A S Henshall 1972.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 176-8, No. 556 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Feachem, R W, 1963, A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland, 44 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2187.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 284, CAT 42; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Henshall, A S, 1972, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2, 204, CAT 42 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG358.
Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 129-30, no. 42; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
Scott, J G, 1991, 'The stone circles at Temple Wood, Kilmartin, Argyll', Glasgow Archaeol J Vol. 15 1988-89, p.53-124, 74 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1722.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, J G. 1991. 'The stone circles at Temple Wood, Kilmartin, Argyll', Glasgow Archaeol J Vol. 15 1988-89, p.53-124. Glasgow Archaeol J. 53-124. 74.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 129-30, no. 42; plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 44.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 176-8, No. 556.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 284, CAT 42; plan.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 204, CAT 42.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3322 4293 (42m by 42m)|
- MACE (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:466 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM466 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9018 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.