MHG2187 - Stone Alignment, Loch of Yarrows
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STONE ALIGNMENT (Undated)
Stone Rows (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
Provisional Consent - Letter received from HS, dated 23/10/02. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 20/02/03
Eight stone rows, six of which are almost complete for a distance of about 138ft. The row shown on the OS map as 384ft long has been almost completely eradicated by cultivation although the remaining fragments are scattered over a distance of 304ft.
The rows are aligned almost due north and south and are generally parallel, 5 to 7ft 8ins apart. The stones, slabs about 3ins thick, face across the rows and are up to 1ft high.
RCAHMS 1911; J Anderson 1886.
Mainly as described by the Commission. Only one stone remains of the most easterly row and the longest row now measures c40m.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (R L) 26 April 1967.
Anderson, J, 1886, Scotland in pagan times: the bronze and stone ages: the Rhind lectures in archaeology for 1882, 130; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1898.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 185-6, No. 570 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Thom, A, 1971, Megalithic lunar observatories, 98-9; plan N 1/7 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2866.
Ruggles, C L N, 1981, A critical examination of the megalithic lunar observatories, 193; plan fig. 4.5 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3127.
Freer and Myatt, R and L J, 1982, 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63, 61-2, No. 8 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1694.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Freer and Myatt, R and L J. 1982. 'The multiple stone rows of Caithness and Sutherland. 2. Their description. I', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 3 April 1982, p.58-63. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 58-63. 61-2, No. 8.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anderson, J. 1886. Scotland in pagan times: the bronze and stone ages: the Rhind lectures in archaeology for 1882. 130; plan.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 185-6, No. 570.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thom, A. 1971. Megalithic lunar observatories. 98-9; plan N 1/7.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Ruggles, C L N. 1981. A critical examination of the megalithic lunar observatories. SHG23416. 153-209. 193; plan fig. 4.5.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3128 4401 (41m by 66m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:506 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM506 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9021 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.