MHG2209 - Standing Stones, Loch of Yarrows
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Standing Stones (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)
Two prominent, needle-shaped standing stones on the medial line of a low mound which together with the surrounding depression was formed during an unsuccessful search for burials about 1870.
The stones stand 18ft 6ins apart, highest towards N, measuring 8ft 4ins in height by 1ft 7ins by 11ins and facing ENE-WSW. The other measures 6ft 5ins high by 1ft 6ins by 10ins and faces N-S.
RCAHMS 1911; R W Feachem 1963.
Two standing stones on an oval, peat-covered mound 1.0m high, as described by the RCAHMS except that both stones face NNE.
Surveyed at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (I S S) 14 March 1972.
These stones command views of distant hills which might include astronomical foresights indicated by the orientation of the stones.
E W MacKie 1975.
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on 2009 aerial photography. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 73.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacKie, E W. 1975. Scotland: an archaeological guide: from the earliest times to the twelfth century. 227.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 185, No. 567.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 3163 4310 (13m by 18m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:505 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM505 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/9045 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.