MHG22225 - Lochcarron Parish Church
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Built, 19th Century - 1836 AD to 1836 AD)
- CEMETERY (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
ARCHITECT: Alexander Ross (I.C. 29 May 1883) Alterations
Alexander Ross & Son (I.C. 23 Jan 1912) Additions & repairs
Information and photographs received from visitor to HER website. This church was built by James Smith of Inverness in 1836 and was signed off by the Presbytery as being up to specification on 17th August of that year. It measures 63’ x 40’ x 24’ high to the roof. During its history it has had three main sets of alterations/repairs. Built to replace the old kirk (MHG7943) it was originally known as “An Eaglais Mhor” (The Big Church), but more recently, and currently, is known as the East Church. <1>
Tall, rectangular church, harled with ashlar margins. 4 long Gothic Y-tracery windows with wooden mullions and multi-pane glazing dominate the south elevation; 2 small pointed headed windows in east gable; entrance in centre of west gable masked by modern glazed porch. Stumpy pinnacled bellcote at west gable apex, cross at east; slate roof.
Interior; simple interior which appear to have been re-cast in late 19th century; gallery fills west end; long communion
Visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. Rectangular white harled parish church within 20th century burial ground. The ground is fairly flat, neat and well maintained. The gravestones face east and are set out in straight rows. They are all upright and span the 20th century. The most recent graves are in a modern extension to the north. There are a few bushes within the ground and two large Yew trees. <3><4>
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Swan, P. 2008-11. Photographs of various HER sites submitted by Paul Swan. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 7258.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9150 4138 (21m by 23m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB7258 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/107459 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.