MHG22346 - Spean Bridge Station
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY STATION (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Spean Bridge Station (NBR) opened 7.8.1894; became juction of Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway 27.7.1903
(Location cited as NN 222 817). Spean Bridge Station, opened 1894 by the West Highland Rly. A 2-platform through station, unusual for the West Highland Rly. The main building, on the up platform, is a single-sided version of the standard wood and brick WHR station.
J R Hume 1977. <1>
This intermediate station on the Crianlarich - Fort William ('West Highland') line of the former North British Rly was opened (by the West Highland Rly) on 7 August 1894. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 April 2006.
Spean Bridge Station, 1894, design attributed to James Miller, architect to the rival Caledonian Railway Co. Standard chalet-style format for the West Highland Railway, with swept eaves forming a canopy and a facing of wooden shingles imported from Switzerland, originally in two shades of green. (Platforms originally covered in red blaize and roofs shingled until they rotted and were replaced with slates). Extended for restaurant conversion, Maxwell and Co, 1994. <2>
The building has now been listed, Grade C, together with the Signal Box to the E (see MHG53994). Spean Bridge Railway Station is one of a series of single storey, 12-bay, Swiss-Chalet influenced stations designed by James Miller specifically for the West Highland Railway. The design is distinguished and characterised by its piended bell-cast roof, red brick base, timber shingle clad walls and glazed end screens to provide shelter from the wind. The Swiss architectural influence was deliberately chosen to complement the mountainous scenic route covered by the railway. Converted for use as a restaurant in 1993. <3>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<4>
The list description for the building was updated as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13). <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Hume, J R. 1977. The industrial archaeology of Scotland 2: The Highlands and Islands. Paper (Original). 209.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Miers, M.. 2008. The Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Paperback.
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Historic Scotland. 07/10/2010. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Seventeenth Amendment) 2010.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Brough, Y.. 2013. Spean Bridge Railway Station and Signal Box: notification of update to list description. Historic Scotland. 09/07/2013. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 2211 8142 (38m by 14m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB51615 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108183 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.