MHG23050 - Shieling hut - Gleann Sithidh
Ruined possible shieling hut and outbuilding at Gleann Sithidh
Type and Period (2)
- SHIELING HUT? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
What may be an unroofed shieling-hut is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire 1880, sheet cxix). Two unroofed buildings, which may be shieling-huts are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 10 May 1996
Several circular stone-built structures were identified on land exposed by low water at the top west end of Glen Cannich by Glenn Wilks, a walker, on the 29th June 2021. Following notification to Historic Environment Scotland, four members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society and Mr Wilks visited this area on 27th July 2021. Their aim was to survey these structures and to obtain material for carbon dating before the waters of the loch rose again. Other structures in the area were also surveyed.
Shieling Hut & associated building
About 2.5km west of Lungard, two buildings are associated with the place where the E-W track that runs along upper Glen Cannich crosses the Allt na Criche, descending from the hills to the north. These buildings have been previously identified from the 1st edition OS map and thought to be shielings.
Building 1; Rectangular building, 8.5 x 3.9m external dimensions and orientated E-W, that sits 8m east of the Allt na Criche as it descends from high ground to the north. It lies 5m above, and north of, the main track that passes along the length of upper Glen Cannich. The 0.6m thick walls made of massive stones stand to 0.9m high, highest on the southern wall. A 1m wide doorway starts 2m from the SW corner. There is no evidence of hearth or chimney breast. This could be a shieling hut. Another longer and less massively constructed building lies on the side of the burn 35m to the south.
Building 2; Rectangular building, 9.5 x 3.7m external dimensions and orientated N-S, that sits on the east bank of the Allt na Criche that descends from high ground to the north. It has walls 0.4m thick standing up to 1m high, maximal in the SW corner. The east facing wall is mostly deficient, with a wooden pole resting on the remaining walls and bridging a gap 6m across. This wall presumably contained the entrance to the structure. Could the absent wall hint at a large door opening, eg for a barn? Compared to the more massive building just NW of it, and its orientation, this building may have been a steading or outbuilding. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2021. Archaeological Structures in upper Glenn Cannich, centred on Lungard. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.12,13,43,44. XY
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2013. Getmapping aerial photography 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 0788 2935 (12m by 45m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/109762 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.