MHG2311 - Broch, Cogle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Broch, Cogle or Coghill: The remains of this broch are in stackyard E of Coghill farmhouse and are recognisable only as a low mound 2 ft high, overgrown with vegetation. It was excavated by Dr Anstruther Davidson in 1905 and plan by John Nicholson, Lybster, was made at that time.
Relics discovered are preserved at this farm and at school-house, Gersa. They include bones, shells, deer horn, three vessels of unornamented pottery, stone pounders, rubbing stones, shale discs, a bone pin, and querns (saddle type only).
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
Items of deer-horn from this broch were donated to NMAS by the finder, T D Bathgate, in 1934 (Acc Nos: GA 1140-3).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1935
There is no trace of any remains of this broch. The site, at ND 2670 5708, is now used as the farm stackyard. There are now no relics in the farmhouse; the farmer stated that the property changed hands in 1940.
There are also no relics in the schoolhouse at Gersa (ND 2591 5745). Site surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (R D L) 23 April 1963
(ND 2670 5708) Broch (NR) (site of)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
In the stackyard a low rise of indefinite size and crossed by modern tracks indicates site of broch. A square mortar and a rotary quern stone with a piece of concrete in hole stand in farmyard. Farmer is uncertain whether they are finds from broch.
Visited by OS (J B) 19 March 1982
'Broch', Cogle. The site of a broch identified by a slight rise of indefinite size, crossed by modern tracks.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 129-30, No. 469 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
PSAS, 1935, 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 69 1934-5, p.9-26,118-21,246-50,322-4,397-401,435-43, 14-15 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG551.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 129-30, No. 469.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1935. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 69 1934-5, p.9-26,118-21,246-50,322-4,397-401,435-43. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-26,118-21,246-50,322-4,. 14-15.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2669 5708 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SADDLE QUERN (Undated)
- POUNDER (Undated)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- ROTARY QUERN (Undated)
- POLISHER (Undated)
- MORTAR (VESSEL) (Undated)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- DISC (Undated)
- PIN (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8738 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.