MHG2327 - Broch - Green Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Green Hill (NAT) Broch (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
Green Hill, a grassy mound measuring 32m in diameter and 2.4m in height, conceals the remains of a broch.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910
The site was Scheduled in 1934.
The only part of structure visible is entrance passage, facing SE, which has been partially cleared out, exposing 5.4m on N side of the passage wall. S door check is clearly evident but only vestiges of N can be seen. At this point the passage is 1.4m wide, reducing to 0.9m; the roof is lintelled. The inner end of the passage is obscured by rubbish, but entrance to a guard chamber can be seen on N face, although curve on S face seen by the RCAHMS in 1910 is not evident.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 28 October 1965
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 5 March 1982
'Broch', Greenhill. Diameter: 32m. Circular grassy mound 2.4m high, the entrance on the SE axis, with door checks visible on either side. The passage is 1.4m wide, tapering to 0.9m and is covered by a lintelled roof.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
The site was re-scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <1> <2>
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2017 to better reflect its location and extent on OS MasterMap. <3>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 127, No. 464 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<1> MacIver, M., 2016, Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016 (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27658.
<2> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM551: Green Hill Broch, 40m W of Grant Hall (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27660.
<3> Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Mastermap (Image/Map). SHG23361.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 127, No. 464.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: MacIver, M.. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM551: Green Hill Broch, 40m W of Grant Hall. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2299 5502 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM551 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8757 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.