MHG2356 - Chambered cairn, Earney Hillock
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Amended schedule 25/11/2004 - HAW 11/2004
ND26SW 6 2330 6472.
Earney Hillock (NAT) Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1970)
Earney Hillock, a chambered cairn, is now an irregular, oval, turf-covered mound with indefinite edges. It has been severely robbed and disturbed and now has an elevation of about 7ft. Four slabs project from surface.
Name Book 1872; RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963, visited 1957
Earney Hillock (name confirmed locally) is as described and planned by Miss Henshall. A small circular feature consisting of a grass-covered stony bank 4.5m diameter and 0.3m high lies immediately SW of cairn.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 1 November 1965
Earney Hillock is as described; it measures 34m NW-SE by 18m. The date and purpose of circular feature to SW of the cairn are unknown; there is a possibility that it may be a kiln.
Visited by OS (J B) 6 May 1982
A: Chambered cairn, 'Earney Hillock'. Dimensions: 42 x 22m. Subrectangular grass-covered mound with an irregular surface, 1.6m high. Orientation NW-SE.
B: Hut-circle. Diameter: 6.5m. Traces of a hut-circle with walls 2.25m wide and 0.4m high, 5m W of the cairn. The interior of the hut-circle is slab-lined.
R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995
- --- SHG2115 Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 104-5, no. 14; plan.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 4-5, No. 12.
- --- SHG3339 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 1, 3.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 266, CAT 14.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 2330 6472 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM439 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8855 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.