MHG23798 - Catlodge - Bridge of Etteridge
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Renumbered from NN68SE0025
NN69SE 5.00 (MR 5) 633 929 to 674 921
NN69SE 5.01 NN 6835 9234 and 6840 9236 Excavation: Sections
NN 6799 9230 - NN 6500 9335. 'After a very thorough examination of the ground and of the written and cartographic evidence available, the writer has no doubt at all that the line must have been... across the little bridge near Crubenbeag School (NN 680 924) and thence by what is now a forestry road to join the minor road from the A9' (Taylor 1976) at spot height 972 (NN 665 934) and so by Breakachy (NN 638 929) to Catlodge (NN 633 928).
(Taylor's plans on pp62 and 139 do not agree, the former based on Roy's map (Roy 1747-55) apparently following the present road from Coraldie (NN665 934) via NN 678 941 to meet the Stirling - Inverness road (MR 2) about NN 674 922. The other plan, apparently follows the route he describes from Coraldie but apparently meets the Inverness - Stirling road (MR 2) about NN 678 929. It is hardly likely that Wade would have constructed what amounts to an extra 3/4 mile on the original Inverness - Stirling road when the obvious route close to the river was so much shorter).
Information from OS Recorder 14 June 1978
The existence of Wade's road between the Fort Augustus - Dalwhinnie road (MR 4) linking with the Inverness - Stirling (MR 2) at Bridge of Etteridge is established, and Taylors route is broadly confirmed.
It extended from Catlodge (NN 633 929) along the S side of the Strath Spey to NN 689 942, thereby avoiding the steep impractical climb over the shoulder of Curban beag. This section is occupied by a metalled minor road displaying the usual straight alignments.
At NN 663 934 where it deviates from the present road for 200m it is 4-5m wide between banks and is engineered to the normal military road standards. From NN 679 942 it turns sharply S ascending a saddle and descending gradually to connect with the Inverness - Stirling road at NN 674 922. Again, though this route is not the most direct, it is the most practical, avoiding marshy ground and facilitating gentle gradients.
Along this section classic Wade's road features are unmistakable, despite being overlaid by a forestry track and disused farm road.
The route described is the shortest and most practical means by which double crossings of the River Spey and Truim are avoided.
Visited by OS (NKB) 2 March 1979
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Curtis, G R. 1981. 'Roads and bridges in the Scottish highlands: the route between Dunkeld and Inverness 1725-1925', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 110 1978-80, p.475-96. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 475-96. 483.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. (Invernesshire), 430.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Salmond, J B. 1938. Wade in Scotland. new, enl.. 242-51.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Taylor, W. 1976. The military roads in Scotland. 62-3, 147.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 6739 9210 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KINGUSSIE AND INSH|
|Geographical Area||BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/112214 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.