MHG2399 - Cross Slab, Mid Clyth

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CROSS SLAB (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

A cross-incised slab, 3ft 5ins by 1ft 11ins by 5ins, was found many years before 1910 built into a stone dyke. It is now used as a cover on the top of the wall around the well containing the machinery of a horse mill, at the back of the farmhouse of Roadside, Mid Clyth.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

This cross-inscribed slab, as described and illustrated by the RCAHMS, was removed from the horse mill at ND 2941 3728 when the mill was destroyed in 1930, and built into the corner of a new byre at ND 2939 3728 (info from A O Sinclair, Greenhill, Mid Clyth, Caithness). Its original position cannot be ascertained, but it probably came from the graveyard 180 m to the E, where a similar stone (ND23NE 4) stands on the site of a Roman Catholic chapel.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 10 May 1967.


George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.


Cross-Slab, Mid Clyth. (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11656.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 81, No. 296; illust (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 2938 3728 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND23NE
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.