MHG241 - Township, Dalchapple
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Undated)
- None recorded
'A' (NH 470 123) Settlement named Dalchapple
'B' (NH 473 121) Settlement named Tillinhassen
'C' (NH 476 122) Settlement named Ardochy
'D' (NH 475 126) Settlement named Tu(a)Fehat?
W Roy 1745-63
In the area centered at NH 473 121, betweem Cumrack Burn and Allt Breineag, there is the deserted township of Dalchapple (Dell of the Colts). (Mr MacDonald, Killiechoilum, Whitebridge, Inverness-shire) It consists of the grass covered footings of 32 buildings and 24 enclosures, 4 corn-drying kilns, the extant remains of a mill, with a dried-up lade, and several field walls. Two millstones were recovered from the vicinity, the location of which are now uncertain. Within the same area there are the extant remains of 4 buildings and a large dry-stone sheep encosure, including a sheep dip and associated apparatus. The construction and condition of these features suggest a later date than the remainder. In the area centred at NH 474 118, there is evidence of lazy beds. On the west bank of Allt Breineag, in the area centred at NH 475 121, there are the grass-covered footings of two buildings, and the extant remains of a third, obviously post-dating the former. In the same area, there is a corn-drying kiln. These structures constitute the deserted township of "Ardochy".
There is no local knowledge of the names Tillinhassen and Tu(a)fehat. Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 4 June 1964
NH 4718 1220 Excavations by Inverness Museum examined the impact of forestry operations on a MOLRS site in the Forestry Commission?s Glen Brein plantation, near Whitebridge. The township of Tillinhassen is recorded on Roy?s Military Survey of c 1750 and was well preserved until forestry planting commenced in 1976.
The excavations examined the effects of forestry ploughing and subsequent tree root action on the site of a rectangular stone building; contrasted with a control trench on an attached drystone enclosure partly preserved within a forestry ride.
It was clear that the greatest damage to the building had occurred during the ploughing stage of the forestry operation, in the course of which the plough had cut through the entire depth of archaeological deposits down into subsoil. The plough had broken through standing wall footings and dragged tumble for up to 3m, this disturbance was exacerbated by major tree roots; the furrows being followed as the line of least resistance. Soil alterations from ploughing and subsequent root action were also apparent.
Despite the fact that the building had been considerably compromised by forestry operations, some pockets of archaeology were preserved. Fragments of clay and beaten earth floor surfaces and the remains of a hearth were noted where the forestry plough had ?bounced?, and beneath furrow upcast. By contrast, the site in the forestry ride was well preserved, with evidence for an earlier stone feature pre-dating the construction of the enclosure wall. There was a clear build-up of cultivation soils both within and outwith the enclosure.
Sponsor: Highland Council Cultural & Leisure Services.
R G Hanley 1996
NH 4718 1220 The second season of excavation on this settlement sealed by a 20 year old Sitka plantation concentrated on examining a second building, Structure B, and re-examining Structure A (Hanley 1996). The former was chosen as a control because its interior had not been affected by ploughing. Traces of clay flooring were found in both buildings. The conclusions of this work were that major damage occurred from the forestry ploughing and that the Sitka roots tended to follow the zone of disturbance caused by ploughing.
Copies of the interim report are held in the NMRS and Highland SMR.
Sponsor: Inverness Museum.
Hanley and Wordsworth 1997
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Roy, W. 1747-55. Military Survey of Scotland.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley and Wordsworth, R and J. 1997. 'Glen Brein (Boleskine & Abertarff parish), post-medieval deserted settlement', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R G. 1996. 'Glen Brein (Boleskine and Abertarff parish), medieval or later rural site', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.59. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 59. 59.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4729 1210 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12303 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.