MHG24204 - Raigmore House, Inverness
This building may have been used as the Inverness Maternity Hospital, though evidence is lacking. The building was subsequently used as military headquarters until its demolition c.1965.
Type and Period (5)
- MATERNITY HOSPITAL? (Unknown date)
- ROYAL AUXILIARY AIR FORCE HEADQUARTERS (In use, 20th Century - 1946 AD to 1957 AD (between))
- AIR FORCE HEADQUARTERS (In use, Second World War to 20th Century - 1941 AD to 1946 AD (between))
- HOUSE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1810 AD? to 1965 AD)
- OFFICERS MESS (Second World War to 20th Century - 1941 AD to 1946 AD)
- None recorded
The house was demolished c.1965. Raigmore is now a housing and hospital development.
ARCHITECT: Archibald Simpson - erection supervised by Alexander Ross. <1>
On the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, sheet 12, 1879), this house is annotated as Broomtown, but by the 2nd edition of 1904 it is named Raigmore. The OS Name Book states that Broomtown is 'a large three storey modern built mansion with commodious offices attached- situated within extensive grounds it is occupied by and the property of E Mackintosh esq of Raigmore' (Name Book 1879). <2>
The online Dictionary of Scottish Architects lists this as Inverness Maternity Hospital (Raigmore House). <3> [Following research by J Leslie, this no longer lists the building as a maternity hospital - email correspondence 12/03/2015]
Raigmore House served as Group Headquarters for RAF Fighter Command 14 Group between 1941 and 1946. It later became the HQ for the Royal Auxiliary Air Force until 1957. <4>
Letter books belonging to Lachlan Mackintosh and dated to 1824-6 are in the collections of the National Library of Scotland. He is noted as being resident of 'Raigmore House, Invernessshire'. <5> This would appear to be in conflict with the name given to the building on the OS 1st Edition map - see above.
Raigmore House was referred to as one of several 'gentlemen's seats' in the area of Inverness in 1846, all of which were "..beautifully situated in richly-planted demesnes". <6>
The area of the house is labelled 'Broomtown' on Roy's Military map of 1747-52. It is shown as a small collection of houses amongst fields. <7>
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Numlink 103056.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Numlink 200395.
- <3> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Dictionary of Scottish Architects 1840-1980.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Jenner, R. 13/09/2008. Email from Bob Jenner regarding RAF Fighter Command 14 Group HQ. Yes. Digital.
- <5> Collection/Catalogue: National Library of Scotland. National Library of Scotland collections catalogue. Digital. GB233/MS.6360-6361.
- <6> Text/Publication: Lewis, Samuel. 1846. A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland: Comprising the Several Counties, Islands, Cities, Burgh and Market Towns, Parishes and Principal Villages with Historical and Statistical Descriptions. . p.595.
- <7> Image/Map: Roy, W. 1747-55. Roy Military Survey of Scotland, 1747-55.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6840 4554 (155m by 65m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/103056 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.