MHG24470 - Corran Village
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NG80NE Grid Ref.: NG 8505 0934 (approx. centre of village)
Source: O/S 1:2500 Map, 1969.
NG80NE 7 centred on 8505 0933
(NG 850 093) Early/mid 19th century, row of 4 single storey cottages, 3 bays with centre doors.
(NG 850 093) Mid/later19th century. Continuous row of 13 single storey byres sharing cobbled frontage and common drain. Vary slightly in size.
(NG 849 093) Early/mid 19th century continuous single storey 12 bay row of 11 drystone fishing stores, the end store (west) being slightly larger with small window.
Information from HBD list, Glenelg parish items 3-5
A village, comprising seven roofed and two partially roofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxvii). These buildings are formed of a row of fishing stores, row of byres and at least three rows of dwellings. Seven roofed buildings, three of which are rows of cottages and one partially roofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 31 July 1996.
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
General Roy recorded a small settlement here in c.1750, named Leachran. How the name changed to Corran is another matter. Meryl Marshall and Ann Wakeling (NOSAS) spent a day recording the ruined sheds and other ruined buildings behind the modern township, plus those within the croftlands (figs. 9 and 10; plate 21). Following the 19th century clearances, Corran became a crofting township, the evidence given to the Napier Commission suggesting that the 17 crofters and their families endured great hardship in their attempts to survive on 13.5 acres (Evidence to the Napier Commission, Glenelg August 1883, quoted in English 2000, 108ff). The small size of their plots is clearly visible on fig. 10. Both Camusbane and Corran, in a rental dating to 1824, included a portion of ‘Lochournside’ (Murchison 1957). Islandreoch, Sandwick, Rarsay, Inchkennel and Culnanune were one big sheep run by that time, so ‘Lochournside’ must have included places to the east like Camas Chonalain Beag, Camas Chonalain Mòr, Eilean a Gharb-làin and Rubha Leac an Aoil, all of which have evidence of settlement evidence (NOSAS 2006, 13-17).
The croftlands are enclosed within a substantial head dyke above which there is extensive evidence of turf stripping for use as fuel, for building, and to increase the depth of soil and fertility on the plots. Most crofts appear to have had a barn and they all seem to have had a byre. Sites 1334-1344 are located in improved ground to the NE of Corran village and each is associated with a strip of land. Many of the buildings are still roofed and in use; they are all similar in appearance, but they do not appear to be dwelling houses. The strips of ground appear to be defined by small ditches - which show up clearly on aerial photos - although it is probable that some have disappeared due to more recent cultivation activity. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8505 0933 (160m by 160m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.org.uk/site/117937 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.