MHG24684 - Farmstead and inn - Badinluchie


Ruined farmstead and inn at Badinluchie

Type and Period (2)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH26SE 12 centred on 272 604

A small township comprising two roofed buildings, each with an attached enclosure, and two unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet lxxiii). One roofed and one unroofed building, three fields and some lengths of wall are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 28 February 1996

Meryl Marshall of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society undertook a survey of the buildings at Badinluchie in October 2014.

Badinluchie is on the south side of Loch Achanault and on the east bank of the Allt Bad an Fhliuchaidh. The 1st Edition OS map of 1875 has 2 roofed buildings and 2 unroofed buildings, one large and 1 small enclosure here; the 2nd Edition OS map of 1903 has 3 roofed buildings with attached enclosures, one small building annotated “kennel” and 3 larger enclosures. Today there are the remains of two buildings, still partly roofed and with attached byres and enclosures; these were built in 1878 (architect Joass of Dingwall) (no details were taken of these on our visit in Oct2014). To the west the footings of two further building were noted and details were taken of these - see below, the larger of these (Building A) is roofed on the 1st Edition OS map and believed to be the old inn.

Building A. Apart from the upstanding remains at the east end, this building is barely discernible . It is located close to the east bank of the Allt Bad an Fhliuchaidh and has, abutting on its south side, a modern drainage ditch. The building is aligned E-W, measures c16m x 7m overall and has two compartments. The main compartment measures c11m x 5m internally and the outshot at the east end is c2m x 5m. The main compartment is bisected by a deer fence; it is defined by low turf and stone walls and at the east end the stone wall has a fireplace recessed into it with two upright slabs forming the sides. The part of the main compartment on the west side of the fence is overgrown, but the end wall here has foundations of large boulders and a stone face up to a height of 1m. Concrete slabs could be detected in the floor of this half of the compartment. This eastern outshot of the building has the more obvious remains with dry-stone walling standing up to a height of 0.8m.

To the south a short length of stone walling 4m in length x 0.7m height may indicate an attached enclosure.
The 1st Edition OS map of 1875 has a roofed building in this position and the 2nd Edition OS survey has a small roofed structure with an attached enclosure and is annotated “kennel”
Photos – 1. the east end of the building showing fireplace. 2. the west end of the building with stone face 1m in height

Building B. It has probably been robbed of its stones as it is defined only by occasional large stones; it measures approximately 11m x 5m. An unroofed building is marked on the 1st Edition OS map of 1875 in this position. <1>

1st Edition OS 6" <2>

NGR adjusted based on 2013 aerial photographs. <3>

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 2725 6048 (57m by 34m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH26SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish CONTIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.