MHG24760 - Limekilns, Reelig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Three impressive, stone built limekilns, first recorded and suggested for scheduling in 1992. Re-reported by Mr C Gair of Inverness 4.11.03
Former tramway from quarry to west, shown on 1st edition OS 6" Map. According to Mr Gair, the kilns are pre-1842 in date; and the car park for the Reelig Glen walk was the coal yard which served the kilns.
The kilns have apparently been filled in but could be cleared out.
Two kilns in a row; the third is later and at a right angle to the others.
Two lime kilns are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Inverness Mainland 1876, Sheet XI.5). They were disused by the early 20th century (Inverness Mainland 1904, Sheet XI.5), by which time they were labelled as 'Old Limekilns'.
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 8 March 2012
GIS spatial data created 2018 based on OS Master Map. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5626 4287 (15m by 12m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/316272/ardmachdonie (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.