MHG25007 - Farmstead - Sluggan (South Inchluin)

Summary

Ruined farmstead at Sluggan (South Inchluin)

Type and Period (4)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • KILN? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • PIT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

The footings of three buildings survive; they are shown on the OS 1st edition map. A track runs from here to Crask, NH82SE0023.
Information from Ann Wakeling, 8/12/99

A project to survey and record archaeological features at Inverlaidnan and Sluggan (originally named Inchluin) was undertaken by NOSAS members in 2018.

South Inchluin (alternative name – Sluggan) Two farmsteads each with improved ground are located in birch woodland on an elevated glacial terrace 400m to the south of Sluggan Bridge. A substantial wall, enhanced by clearance material, separates two areas of improved ground.

The North Farmstead comprises 3 buildings (see photo Fig 12 p37), an enclosure and several pits. The farmstead appears on the 1st Edition OS map of 1867, the name book describing it as “thatched and in miserable condition”.

24A Building - centred on NH 87026 21760. This is the main building of the farmstead; it is on a N- S alignment and measures c.18 x 4.5m internally. The substantial wall footings are of large stones, up to 0.8m high and 0.7m thick. The building has 3 compartments and an outshot at a higher level
to the west; this is recessed into the slope, measures 10m x 5m and has a depth of 0.8m at its W end. At the NE corner of the building there is a small scooped structure which could be a kiln.

24B Building - centred on NH 87009 21754. A rectangular building on a NW-SE alignment measures 10m x 2.5m internally and has 2 compartments. The turf and stone walls are upstanding to between 0.5m and 0.8m. There are 3 entrances in the SE wall, the west one being much wider than the other two.

24C Building - centred on NH 86997 21732. A rectangular building on a NW-SE alignment has internal dimensions of 12m x 3.5m. The turf and stone walls are between 0.3 and 0.8m high and generally 0.7m thick. There is an entrance in the south wall.

24D Enclosure centred on NH 87017 21743. A rectangular enclosure, aligned W-E and sloping to the east measures roughly 15m x 12m. The enclosing turf banks are up to 0.2m high and more obvious at the east end. Two large trees one at the SE corner and one at the NW corner are growing in the bank.

24E Pits – centred on NH 87010 21725. Two oval pits measuring 1.5m x 1m are 0.5m deep.

24F Pit/possible kiln – centred on NH 86979 21773. A sloping scooped pit 20m to the east of the settlement is recessed into the NW facing slope. It is roughly 4m square, 1.2m deep at its SE end but open to the NW. <1>

1st Edition OS 6" <2>

Note: Site only partly visible on aerial photographs so location approximate. (T. Blackie 9/8/19)

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 8700 2175 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH82SE
Civil Parish DUTHIL AND ROTHIEMURCHUS
Geographical Area BADENOCH AND STRATHSPEY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.