MHG25225 - Findspot of symbol stone (Littleferry no. 2), Littleferry Links
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH89NW 2.2 814 965.
No. 2. A fragment of sandstone, of irregular shape, found in 1874 near the same place as the last. It measures 1ft 5ins in length, 11ins in width, and 3ins in thickness, and is sculptured on one face at the top, in incised lines, with the crescent symbol, without the V-shaped rod, or perhaps the horse-shoe symbol, and below this the termination of either a V-shaped or Z-shaped rod (the rest of the figure being broken off), and, to the right, part of a second crescent.
This stone (0.29m x 0.43m x 0.09m) is in the Dunrobin Museum No.13. (Acc.no. 1874.3).
Information from R Jones 1980.
Little Ferry Links 2, Sutherland, Pictish symbol stone fragment
Measurements: H 0.43m, W 0.28m, D 0.08m
Stone type: sandstone
Place of discovery: NH 814966
Present location: Dunrobin Museum (ARC 543), Dunrobin Castle.
Evidence for discovery: a surface find made in 1874.
Present condition: weathered and pitted.
The incised carving on this fragment is badly damaged but appears to represent a small plain notched crescent above a crescent and V-rod. Mack suggests that the rod-end is the right-hand rod of a vertical crescent and that the arc to the right is perhaps part of a mirror.
Date: seventh century.
References: ECMS pt3, 45-6; Fraser 2008, no 146.2.
Compiled by A Ritchie 2016, Early Medieval Carved Stones Project
- --- SHG22642 Text/Publication/Volume: Close - Brooks, J.. 1989. Pictish Stones in DunRobin Castle Museum 1989. Close - Brooks, J. Pilgrim Press Ltd.. Paper (Original). pp. 15.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 18, No. 46.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8140 9649 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15341 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.