MHG25260 - Fernish, Old Parish church
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NM55SE 21 5667 5223.
The roofless shell of this church stands about 350m SE of the present church of Fernish (NM55SE 29: NM 5639 5229), and close to the old road that runs parallel to the existing coast-road, but at a higher level. It is a plain oblong building measuring about 14.2m N-S by 7.8m transversely over walls 0.7m in thickness; the outshot at the S end is evidently a later addition. The main entrance-doorway, placed more or less centrally in the W wall, was round-arched, being flanked by two windows of similar form. A small square-headed window in the same wall may have lit a gallery. There were also two large windows in the E wall as well as a subsidiary doorway in each gable-wall. This church was built in 1780 to replace an earlier one at Cill Dhonnaig (NM55SE 2) and remained in use until the erection of the present church in 1892.
Visited July 1972.
The parish of Morvern (or Morven) was formed in the early 17th century by uniting the parishes of Kilcholumkill and Kilintach. The church of the latter parish was dedicated to St Fintan of Ath Duirn in Ossory.
H Scott 1915-61.
- --- SHG2242 Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 167.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Sutherland, 112.
- --- SHG2664 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 18, No. 46.
- --- SHG2773 Text/Publication/Volume: Scott, H et al (eds.). 1915-61. Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Rev.. Vol. 7, 109.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 5667 5223 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/92510 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.