MHG2551 - St.Tear's Chapel


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

St Tear's Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 6" map, (1968)

St Tear's Chapel, Shorelands: Foundations of St Tear's Chapel are clearly visible. Within a bank which has probably marked the outer faces of the walls, the stones of which have been removed, the measurement is 40 by 23ft.
The chapel associated with a clan feud in 15th century was visited by Bishop Forbes in 1762 and described by him as a 'singular little chapel built of stone and mortar, without lime, roofless with walls almost entire, windowless except in S wall, and resorted to on Feast of Holy Innocents for prayer, offerings, and dancing. Auld lists it as pre-Reformation.
The dedication is a source of speculation and is given as St Tear's, St Tayre, St Tay, St Ere, and St Aire, but may be a transerence in Roman Catholic times from a Celtic dedication to St Airerain or Ereran, whose feast day is one day later than that of the Holy Innocents.
RCAHMS 1911; J B Craven 1886; A Auld 1868.

Footings of this chapel are 11 by 7m. It is known locally as St Tear's (info from Mr Macpherson, farmer, Shorelands).
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D L) 21 April 1963.

The name appears to be a translation of the Gaelic 'Cill nan Deur': 'Church of Tears'.
W J Watson 1926.

St Tear's Chapel measures 14 by 9.4m externally and is overgrown and in very reduced condition. About 50 to W is a scatter of large stones, some of which may be dressed and therefore formerly associated with chapel.
C E Batey 1981.

The chapel remains are as described by the previous authorities.
Visited by OS (J B) 22 July 1982.

Sources/Archives (7)



Grid reference Centred ND 3672 5447 (14m by 10m) (2 map features)
Map sheet ND35SE
Civil Parish WICK
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.