MHG2619 - Broch, Dun Coille Struy
Mutilated Iron Age broch.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Dun Coille Struy, a mutilated broch situated on the top of a steep rocky spur.
It is circular and measures 18.5m overall diameter with a wall thickness of 4.2m at the entrance in the W, whose N side has been destroyed by a track probably to facilitate robbing. The outer face is visible for most of the periphery, surviving to a height of 1.2m in the NE where it is well-built with a pronounced batter, but the inner face can only be seen in the SW for c. 6.0m near the entrance, where there is also a well-preserved oval guard chamber. There are probable remains of intra-mural cells, now obscured by tumble. Recent buildings are evident outside the entrance and within the broch.
Surveyed at 1:2500. (Visited by OS (R D) 20 July 1965)
Visited by OS (N K B) 20 July 1965.
NH33NE 1.01 NH 3964 3976 Buildings
Classified by Graham as a broch, and by Wallace as an apparent dun.
T Wallace 1886, 1913; A Graham 1949
(NH 3963 3976) Dun Coille Struy (NR)
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1886. Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 20. 340-55. 344.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A. 1949. 'Some observations on the brochs', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 81 1946-7, p.48-99. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 48-99. 95.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1921. 'Archaeological notes', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club, Vol. 8 1912-18, p.87-136. 109.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3964 3976 (19m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12239 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.