MHG2654 - Fort, Dun Garbhlaich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC to 900 AD)
Dun Garbhlaich (NAT) Fort (NR)
Dun Garbhlaich, a fort, situated on the uneven rocky summit of an isolated crag. It is roughly D-shaped on plan measuring c.35.0m E to W by c. 28.0m transversely with a drystone wall which is completely tumbled on the N and SE, but well preserved in the SW where the outer face stands to a maximum height of c. 1.5m, and the inner face to a maximum height of c. 1.0m giving a wall thickness varying between 3.8m and 2.3m. In the NE the outer face is evident amidst tumble to a maximum height of c.0.8m. The entrance passage, 4.5m long and 1.1m wide is in the S at the easiest point of access and is faced by upright slabs towards the inner end. Within the fort in the E is a ruinous stone-lined well c.3.0m diameter.
The plan by Wallace (T D Wallace 1921) is almost worthless. The outwork shown to the S of the fort is tumble from the main wall.
Depicted at 1/10000 scale.
Planned at 1/1250
Visited by OS (R L) 6 April 1970; Visited by RCAHMS 1957
This site is included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Dun Garbhlaich, Farley, by Beauly.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1921. 'Archaeological notes', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club, Vol. 8 1912-18, p.87-136. 119; plan 120.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 16, No. 95.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2874.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4661 4660 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2874.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland sire entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2422 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12375 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.