MHG2694 - Chambered Cairn, Boblainy
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- (Alternate Type) BURIAL CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
'About a quarter of a mile to the north of Boblaine there is the remains of a cairn surrounded by a circle of stones. The cairn measures 11 yards in diameter, and at a distance of 2 yards, there are the remains of a circle of stones about 2 1/2 or 3 feet high. At a distance of 20 yards north-west from the circle there is a boulder 4 feet by 3 feet, but whether it had ever formed a part of the structure it would be hard to say.' <1>
The monument stood about NH 493 396, a little below 500 ft. OD above the Bruiach Burn. It has been destroyed but from Wallace's description it may have been a Clava type cairn. <2>
In an arable field, in the area centred at NH 4934 3951 there are the greatly mutilated,grass covered, remains of a cairn measuring about 15.0 metres in diameter by 1.9 metres high. There is no way of telling if this might have been a Clava-type cairn, or if the boulder 20 yards to the NW is associated with it.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R D) 14 December 1964
Before reaching Boblainy farm steading, and at the east side of the public road, there is a circular stony and grassy mound 16 yards in diameter. It is low and curves upwards to a flat top and appears to be too symmetrical to be a stone dump, although stones have been dumped later at the south side. <3>
Photographs of the site were submitted to the HER by a member of the public in 2008. <4> <5>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1886. Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 20. 340-55. 351.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 366, (INV 13).
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Jacks, S E (ed.). 1989. Some unrecorded sites in the Aird noted between Oct 1987 & May 1989. Inverness Field Club. Digital. no. 69.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Member of public. 2007-8. Boblainy Farm Mound/Cairn. Colour. . Digital.
- <5> Text/Correspondence: Highland Council. 2008. Correspondence between member of public and S Tilbury, HER Officer. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4935 3952 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12326 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.