MHG27218 - Sheep fank, building, Slisneach
Sheep fank, building, Slisneach
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NG70NE 1 7504 0874
One unroofed building and an enclosure labled as a sheepfold are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet lxxvi). One unroofed building and a two compartment enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1970).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 July 1996.
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2008/9 as part of an archaeological survey of outer Loch Hourn.
Slisneach is an exceptional area, facing both north onto Loch Hourn and west onto the Sound of Sleat, which lies at the mouth of the loch. Whereas the limit of the loch on its north side is rather vague - though generally accepted locally to be Sandaig (Billy Mackenzie, pers. comm.) - there is no mistaking its southern limit at Rubha Ard Slisneach. After Culloden, Slisneach was not forfeited, but Inverguseran, the next farm to the south was. Slisneach was occupied at this time as a wadset, held by a son of Macdonnell of Scotus (Munro 1984). Today, Inverguseran is a thriving sheep farm, of which Slisneach forms a small part.
Site 1070. A complex structure, apparently of several phases, which seems to consist of a sheep fank built over an earlier building. On the W side of the fank are the ruinous remains of a rectangular building on a NNE-SSW alignment and with a single entrance in the centre of the NW wall. It measures 11m x 3m internally and has drystone walls, standing generally to 0.5m in height. The walls have spread to 2.5m in width, except for the SE wall which is now part of the sheep fank; the rounded external corners of the building are clearly visible in the inside face of the fank. The sheep fank lies on an E-W alignment and is sub-rectangular in shape. It has battered drystone walls, which stand up to 1.5m in height. It is divided into three unequally sized compartments - the central one is roughly 8m square, while the smaller S part measures 4m x 1.5m. On the N side, to the S of the central entrance, are the low stone footings of a small structure of unknown purpose. The entrance of the fank has good squared jambs. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 AP’s <2>
1st Edition OS 6" <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J and Hooper, J. 03/2009. A Report on the 2009 Archaeological Survey of Outer Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.104 Site 1070 p.19 Fig 18.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7503 0875 (23m by 17m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/117918 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.