MHG2735 - Cup Marked Stone, Kineras Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
There is a cup-marked stone a little to the south of the farm of Kineras. The stone is a slab of tough grey gneiss containing mica, with a rounded surface, lying flat on the ground and partly imbedded. It contains 43 distinct cups, three pairs of which are connected by grooves.
W Jolly 1882
This cup marked stone is at NH 46774007. It measures 1.5metres long by 1.1. metres broad and is as described by Jolly. The cup marks vary in size from 3" in diameter by 2" deep, to 1 1/2" in diameter by 3/4" deep, but there is now no trace of any pairs joined by grooves. Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R D) 18 December 1964
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 348-9; Fig.52.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 15, No. 86.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4676 4006 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12395 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.