MHG2929 - Cairn, Balloch
Site of cairn of unknown type. The site is no longer in evidence.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
There are two circles, each six yards in diameter and almost touching each other, about fifty paces from the road and a hundred and fifty paces from the Cairn at Cullernie (NH74NW 4). Their common axis bears N. 25 degrees E and in the middle of the western one once stood a single stone, now fallen.
G Anderson 1831. <1>
There are no circles evident in the vicinity of the area described above. Visited by OS (E G C) 26 April 1962. <2>
No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (A A) 20 March 1971.
No signs of this cairn remain. A S Henshall 1963. <3>
A visitor to the HER website reported that the context of Anderson's description indicates that the cairn he is describing is in fact one hundred and fifty paces to the east of Newton on Petty. It is possible that this coincides with a cropmark visible on aerial photography (see MHG3061).<4>
<1> Anderson, G, 1831, 'On some of the stone circles and cairns in the neighbourhood of Inverness', Archaeol Scot Vol. 3 1831, p.211-22, 218; plan (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1320.
<2> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 10, No. 35 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
<3> Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 373 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<4> Private individual, 2008-11, Feedback from website visitor, David Trevarthen, 01/07/2010 (Text/Correspondence). SHG22709.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, G. 1831. 'On some of the stone circles and cairns in the neighbourhood of Inverness', Archaeol Scot Vol. 3 1831, p.211-22. Archaeol Scot. 211-22. 218; plan.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 10, No. 35.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 373.
- <4> Text/Correspondence: Private individual. 2008-11. Feedback from website visitor. Yes. Digital. David Trevarthen, 01/07/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7259 4769 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14196 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.