MHG2964 - Cup Marked Stone, Milton of Clava
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)
- None recorded
Some cupmarked stones have been found during trenching operations around the farm-house of Milton of Clava. One of the stones, of soft yellow sandstone is 3 feet 2 inches long and 2 feet 3 inches broad and shows about thirty cups. Some of the cups are associated with curvilinear channels.
Another stone, discovered in the same diggings is of the same yellow sandstone, but is a fragment of a larger one, being 1 foot 4 1/2 inches by 10 inches and 4 inches thick. It contains two unusually well-formed cups, enclosed by an irregular shallow groove, and numerous small cuplets.
W Jolly 1882.
A stone, discovered in a pig-sty at the farm of Milton of Clava has cupmarks on both sides - on one side there are 16 cups, on the other 11. It is a small stone about 18 inches thick.
G Bain 1893.
Inquiries at Miltown of Clava failed to reveal any knowledge of these stones.
Visited by OS (W D J) 26 April 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 336-8; figs. 39, 40.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, G. 1893. History of Nairnshire. 2nd ed.. 15.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7536 4415 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||CROY AND DALCROSS|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14260 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.