MHG2973 - Chambered Cairn, Leanach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Stone Circle (OE) (Remains of )
OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 1st ed., (1871)
In a couple of fields on the plateau of Culloden at over 500 feet OD. above the west side of the Nairn Valley are three large monoliths.
The north-west stone, which leans towards the south, is 4 feet 6 inches high. The south west stone 70 feet from it is 3 feet high but has been reduced by blasting. The south east stone is 50 feet 6 inches away from the south-west stone and is 6 feet 9 inches high. These stones are set on a circler with a diameter of about 96 feet, and might well be the monoliths which stood round a Clava-type cairn. There is now no sign of any other structure but the field wall which bisects the site contains several unusually large stones.
J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963, visited 9 April 1957.
Of the three monoliths described above, only the southern pair remain, the north-west stone has entirely disappeared.
Surveyed at 1/2500
Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1962.
Fraser, J, 1884, 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62, 350 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG537.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 382, INV 39 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region, 9, No. 25 (Text/Report). SHG2673.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 25.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 382, INV 39.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fraser, J. 1884. 'Descriptive notes on the stone circles of Strathnairn and neighbourhood of Inverness', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 18 1883-4, p.328-62. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-62. 350.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7424 4434 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/BTL6 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14311 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.