MHG29800 - Coffin Stand, Clayside

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (3)

  • HOLY WELL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COFFIN CAIRN (Undated)
  • (Alternate Type) WELL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

This historical site was previously built into the roadside dyke on the stretch of road between the 'Iron Bridge' and 'Dunrobin Castle'. It's origins must go back at least 200 years and was used on funeral processions to rest coffins, on their long journey by foot from Brora to Golspie and visa versa. It consisits of at least three sandstone slabs, two of which were upstanding and at right-angles to dyke to form bench-like rest while other horizontal slab formed seat. The area is known locally as 'Simon's Brae' or 'Clayside' on OS map and close-by coffin rest was the location of a croft house which was demolished some years ago. Stonework from house was recycled and used to face wall outside the 'Golspie Swimming Pool'. Near the coffin rest - NC854014, is the site of a 'spring' (still visible) and possible 'well' which may now be covered up
Article, 'Northern Times' (23/02/01) -
There had to be at least one myth associated with the ancient coffin "Resting Stone" which appears to have been literally ditched off A9 between Dunrobin and Strathsteven. A Golspie lady recalls tale of Eppie Mell, a so-called "witch" from 'The Doll', who was to be buried in Golspie churchyard 200 years ago. The cortege of mourners duly set off from her cottage out on to main road. Then they took their traditional rest at the "coffin stone" set into the boundary wall at Clayside, while having a well-earned drink of water from the nearby well. Then, lo and behold, a hare doe appeared on top of coffin, and as pall-bearers looked in wonder, she leapt off and bounded into the woods. Back to their task, the duty bearers found the coffin distinctly lighter!.

Associated Sites - There are references to other coffin rests in the area, one located somewhere between the 'Iron Bridge' and 'Strathsteven', probably now demolished due to roadworks and the other assocaited with the original 'Shore Road', somewhere between Dunrobin and the Broch (Cairn Liath). There is also considerable amounts of masonary on the beach at Dunrobin on the 'Dairypark' side which needs looked at further.
See assoc. docs. File.

Information supplied by J Aitken : 26/02/01.

Sources/Archives (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 8540 0139 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC80SE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish GOLSPIE

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.