MHG3055 - Morayston Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- KILN (Undated)
- None recorded
NH74NE 3 75 49.
A circular pit, built with water-worn stones, was discovered on the farm of Moraytown in the parish of Dalcross, Inverness-shire, on 21st, June 1899. It lay a little to east of a stone cist (NH74NE 2).
In shape the pit was like an inverted bee-hive, and not quite circular, as the diameter varied from 30 to 34 inches. "From the floor of the chamber an arched passage built of the same kind of stones extended 8 feet to the west and ended in a chamber 39 1/2 inches by 30 1/2 inches. The height of the arched passage at the east end was 17 inches and at the west 26 inches; and about 18 inches wide.
In the circular chamber were found shells of the oyster, mussel and cockle, with bones of some large bird, and of a small animal, possibly the rabbit, along with several jaws of some carnivorous animal, perhaps the wolf".
T Wallace 1900.
No knowledge of this structure was encountered at Morayston.
Visited by OS (J L D) 24 April 1962.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1900. 'Archaeological notes from Moraytown, Dalcross, Inverness-shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 34 1899-1900, p.215-7. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 215-7. 215-16.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 31, No. 250.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7500 4900 (20m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14166 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.