MHG3064 - Enclosure - Craig Phadrig
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
NH64NW 17 6486 4630 to 6469 4631.
NH 648 463. An area of rock outcrops on the E slopes of the NW spur of Craig Phadrig (some 100 yds from the main road) is surrounded by a ruined earth-and-stone wall, forming a roughly oval enclosure 252 ft from E to W by 112 ft transversely. Within this, near its upper (W) end, three sides of a smaller rectangular enclosure can be traced, formed of larged undressed slabs on edge, the longest wall (52 ft) running from SSE to NNW. Further walls can be distinguished leading from each end towards the E, that to the N for 19 ft, and that to the S for 36 ft, with a 4 ft wide entrance 11 ft from the junction with the long wall. Although it is likely that the outer enclosure may be of comparatively recent date, the inner one may well be much earlier.
A A Woodham 1958.
This sub-oval enclosure is at NH 6486 4630 on a fairly steep E slope in a cultivated field and is generally as described by Woodham. The main enclosure wall is a modern plantation dyke. The small "rectangular enclosure" within on the W, is a platform bounded on the W and S by the remains of an L-shaped double wall, 1.5 m thick, of conglomerate boulders. Also enclosed are three or four ill-defined irregular platforms bounded by outcrop rock and slight scarps, of indefinite period and purpose.
A similar but smaller arrangement at NH 6469 4631 has been partly quarried and appears to be modern.
Visited by OS (A A) 29 September 1969.
Nothing now remains visible of these enclosures, in an area of rough pasture and housing development. They were probably of no great age. RCAHMS 1979.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Craig Phadrig from E.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Fort, Craig Phadrig from NE.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 22, No. 155.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1958. 'Clachnaharry', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1958, p.24-5. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 24-5. 24-5.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6486 4629 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/68071 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.