MHG30660 - Keil Church - Lochaline
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Lochaline, Kiel Church. Built in 1898, probably to a design by P MacGregor Chalmers. A plain kirk, the Early Christian detail of the simple round-arched windows almost flush with the walls, picked out by the contrast of the red-painted sandstone dressings against the harling. Buttress bisecting the W gable. SW porch. Simple gabled bellcote on the nave's E wall, from which projects the lower chancel. Interior with braced kingpost roofs over both compartments. Roundheaded chancel arch; deep-splayed window jambs. Stained glass: in the narrow E window, four tiers of oval panels containing portaits of Our Lord and SS. Columba, John and Paul, c. 1900, in good dark colours. The nave's NE window (The Sower) is by Roland Mitton, 1983, tepidly expressionist. NW window (Abraham) by Stephen Adm and Son, 1899.
The building was listed with the adjacent Session House (see MHG17237) at Category C(S) in 1980.
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
As part of a project looking at sites with dual designations, the listing was amended in 2017 to expressly exclude the medieval graveslabs housed within the Session House building. The statutory address was also amended. The Scheduling remained unchanged. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to OS MasterMap. <3>
For Medieval church and churchyard see SMR NM64NE0001
For Medieval Graveslabs see MHG460
For present church see SMR NM64NE0003
For session house see SMR NM64NE0035
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Smith, E.. 2017. Notification of the amendments to the listing of Keil Church. Historic Environment Scotland. 02/06/2017. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6709 4517 (23m by 13m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB13944 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22427 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.