MHG30818 - Aircraft crash site, Scaraben
Crash site of an Armstrong Whitworth Whitley V aircraft which was lost in 1941.
Type and Period (2)
- AIRCRAFT CRASH SITE (Crashed, Second World War - 1941 AD to 1941 AD)
- WHITLEY (Crashed, Second World War - 1941 AD to 1941 AD)
- None recorded
A Whitley aircraft crashed on May 1st, 1941. Serial P5070. Sqd. 612. No further details.
Information supplied by Alan Clark, 11/04/02.
Macclesfield Aviation Group, a member of the British Aviation Archaeological Council. <1>
Website - www.the-ateam.supanet.com or e-mail at Clark@theateam69.fsnet.co.uk
Website details supplied by A Clark, 11/04/02. <2>
Proposals by the Whitley Group to excavate this site. Licence issued by RAF 11/2004. <3>
The web address at <2> is no longer current. <4>
The aircraft was a Whitley V built by Armstrong Whitworth at the Baginton plant in Coventry and was the first aircraft in a batch of 42. It was lost while on strength with 612 Sqn of Coastal Command on 1 May 1941. The aircraft remains lie exposed on an open mountain top - the impact point lies approximately 10m SW of the main site. The bulk of the remains have been dumped in a shallow depression which may be a small crater resulting from a detonated depth charge. The debris spread lies mostly within a 100m radius of this point. The remains are present as surface wreckage only. The crash site was visited by members of the Whitley project in ?2006. An inventory of the remains is to be found in <5>. The remains were also photographed. <6>
- --- SHG2110 Text/Publication/Volume: David J Smith. 1997. High Ground Wrecks and Relics. 4th. 11.
- --- SHG2367 Text/Publication/Volume: Jim Hughs. 1999. A Steep Turn to The Stars, A history of aviation in the Moray Firth.. 2nd.
- --- SHG300 Text/Publication/Monograph: Watson G. 04/02. Early Flying In The North Of Scotland. 6. 15-17.
- <1> SHG23722 Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant.
- <2> SHG23722 Verbal Communication: Aitken, J. Comments by Jacquie Aitken, SMR Assistant.
- <3> SHG23635 Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <4> SHG23297 Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <5> SHG24055 Text/Report: Smock, E. 07/2006. Report on the crash site of Armstrong Whitworth Whitley P5070. The Whitley Project. . Digital.
- <6> SHG24056 Image/Photograph(s): Smock, E. 2006?. Photographs of the remains of Armstrong Whitworth Whitley P5070. Colour. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 083 276 (400m by 400m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.geocities.com/whitley_project/ (View The Whitley Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.