MHG31177 - Site of Chapel Well, Balblair
A well depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map which was filled in many years ago.
Type and Period (1)
- WELL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Well, associated with medieval churchyard is depicted on 1st ed OS. <1>
A well, associated with the medieval churchyard is depicted on the OS 1st edition map and noted in the OS name book of 1875. It was thought to be a spring well. The OS noted in 1966 that the well was filled in 'many years ago'.
S Farrell 2003. <2>
Three features were identified during a geophysical survey in 1997 which are the probable sites of old wells. Two of these are very close to the mapped location of Chapel Well and the report notes that they lie in a natural aquifer of shingle/cobble to sand substratum. <3>
A watching brief took place during topsoil stripping for a new house very close to the site of Chapel Well and/or the putative well sites identified during the geophysical survey in <3>. Nothing was identified that could be interpreted as an infilled well. <4>
<1> Ordnance Survey, 1871-76, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire (Image/Map). SHG23422.
<2> RCAHMS, Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS) (Interactive Resource/Online Database). SHG23282.
<3> Arkensol Soil Services, 1997, Geophysical Report, Balblair, Ross-shire, Features O1 - O3 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21746.
<4> Farrell, S, 02/2010, Archaeological Watching Brief of a Development at Newhall Point, Balblair, Highland (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24723.
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS).
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Arkensol Soil Services. 1997. Geophysical Report, Balblair, Ross-shire. Arkensol Soil Services. 21/05/2002. Digital (scanned as PDF). Features O1 - O3.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 02/2010. Archaeological Watching Brief of a Development at Newhall Point, Balblair, Highland. Unaffiliated. Digital.
|Grid reference||NH 70919 67044 (point) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/272691 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.