MHG31371 - Kilbride
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
J Aitken : 11/12/02
NG36NE 3 3735 6605.
There are ruins of a church at Kilbride Point (RCAHMS 1928) and its burial ground is noted as being of ancient date. (T S Muir 1861)
There is also evidence of depopulation here: four ruined buildings are shown in 1875 (OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, Isle of Skye, 1st ed.).
T S Muir 1861; NSA 1845; RCAHMS 1928; Visited by OS (A C) 20 January 1961.
On the highest point of Kilbride Point are the lower courses of a once substantial building measuring internally 10.4m E-W and 4.0m N-S. The walls are 1.1m thick and 0.6m high, with square corners and well defined faces. Although it has been partly overbuilt by a house, now also a ruin, there is no doubt that this is the remains of Kilbride Church. Abutting on the N wall of the church is a small enclosure marked out by a line of boulders; this was possibly the burial ground.
On the E side of the church are about 8 ruined houses, two of which have been re-roofed and serve as fishermen's huts.
Visited by OS (C F W) 27 April 1961.
The monument is situated on a coastal promontory. It consists of the remains of a late medieval church which has been partly overbuilt by
a dwelling house, also ruined. Also included is an oval enclosure immediately to the N of the church, which is probably the burial
The church is rectangular-plan, orientated and measures 12.6m by 6.1m over walls 1.2m thick and about 0.9m high. The masonry is a mixture
of rubble and worked local stone with coarse shell-lime mortar. Stretches of inner and outer wall face survive, suggesting the
building had square corners and well defined faces. There is a square pillar of dressed stone in the church interior. The burial ground to
the N, defined by a line of boulders, measures 21m E-W by 12m N-S. Subsequent to the abandonment of the church the promontory has
supported a small settlement consisting of four buildings: two lie to the NE and two are located to the S (one of which is in use as a boat naust).
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated October 1992.
A small township comprising one roofed and four unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Island of Skye 1880, sheet vi). Two roofed and four unroofed buildings, one of which is annotated as the remains of a church, are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 30 September 1996.
- --- SHG2551 Text/Publication/Volume: Muir, T S. 1861. Characteristics of old church architecture etc. in the mainland and western islands of Scotland. 161.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Inverness-shire, 237.
- --- SHG2656 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 176, No. 561.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3734 6606 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5415 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.