MHG31394 - Alness, Old Parish Church, graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
NH66NW 2 6448 6906
This church was said to have been out of use for about 20 years prior to 1963. It bears a date-stone '1775' at the SW corner eave, and two dated '1629' at the base of the belfry.
Visited by OS 5 May 1963.
This church, now roofless (HBD No. 10) has a 1672 Novar Aisle together with a later extension to the N and a burial-enclosure of 1671 to the E. Datestone s comemmorate the fact that the main body of the church in its existing form dates from 1625 and was renovated in 1775. However, its basic rectangular plan and orientation suggest a medieval origin, and on the inner face of the NE wall there is a blocked-up arched opening, in all likelihood a medieval tomb-recess.
G Stell 1986; Information from NMRS record sheet RCR/1/1. <1>
NH66NW0002 Old Parish Church
J Aitken : 12/12/02
A comprehensive monumental inscription survey has been completed by the 'Highland Family History Society'. This survey does not include photos of each stone. Please contact Chairperson, John Durham for copies of the report.
J Aitken : 18/12/02
The burial ground at Alness was visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. Situated at the edge of the town of Alness, the site consists of a large ruined church structure within a historic burial ground. The graveyard is well maintained with neat grass and gravel paths in parts. To the north of the old graveyard and church the burial ground has been extended and is still used for burials. In the modern section the graves are laid out in straight lines on gravel paths, whilst immediately surrounding the church site to the south, west and east are more randomly laid out, older graves. The ground in this older section is also more uneven.
There is a range of different types of gravestone in the older part, table top, upright, as well as flat slabs on the ground and underfoot. <2><3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Hay, G. 1957. The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843. 88, 169, 194, 272.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 24, No. 204.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. Vol.2, pt.2, 473.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Cowan, I B. 1967. The parishes of medieval Scotland. 6.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 125.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6449 6908 (85m by 93m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB365 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13662 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.