MHG31401 - Marybank Church, graveyard
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to 18th Century - 1058 AD to 1767 AD)
NH77NW 9 7498 7612.
Church (NAT) (In Ruins) on Site of Chapel (NR)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
At Marybank there is a ruined church. Its walls are practically intact, with exception of south wall, which is broken down.
The body of the church is a somewhat narrow parallelogram, from northern side of which projects a gabled wing. The church is thought to be pre-Reformation, although the north wing appears to be of considerably later date than the rest of the church. The unenclosed grave- yard contains many stones. One of them is dated 1593, but the date is not thought to be original. <1>
A post-Reformation church on the site of a pre- Reformation chapel. The church has been in disuse since 1767, but the surrounding burial ground is still in use.
Name Book 1873. <2>
This church is as generally described above, but only the W and N gables now stand to roof height, ie. C.6.0m. The other walls vary in height from 0.5 to 2.0m, and are up to 0.8m thick.
About a dozen grave slabs can still be seen in the burial ground, but none have legible dates.
Visited by OS (R D L) 19 May 1963.
The roofless shell of this T-plan church stands 200m SE of Marybank. Built of mortared rubble, it survives to gable height on the N and W; the chamfered windows indicate a 17th century date for the church but some of the tombstones in the surrounding graveyard appear to be of earlier date. (Succeeded by NH77NE 5.) RCAHMS 1979, visited November 1978. <3>
This was the original LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH, which was replaced as Parish Church around 1818 by the building of the church at NH 77NE 6. This in turn was replaced as Parish Church by the church at NH 77NE 8 (former United Free Church). NH 77NE 8 remains the present LOGIE EASTER PARISH CHURCH.
Graveyard visited during the Highland Kirkyards project, run by Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. The graveyard surrounding the ruined church is rather sparse in gravestones but does still have some visible flat slabs, presumably with more hidden under the grass. This site should be viewed, along with three other ecclesiastical sites in the parish, as part of a continuous story, all four sites being at one time the Logie Easter Parish Church. This site is the first in the chronological list of the four sites, becoming disused in 1767 when Church, Marybank replaced it. This site was then replaced by Former Parish Church and Burial Ground, Logie Easter, and in turn the current Logie Easter Parish Church replaced the third site. <4><5>
Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH), 2012, Pathways into the Past: Milton, Site 12 (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25681.
<1> ISSFC, 1902, 'Excursion to Balnagown and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 5 1895-9, p.359-64, Vol 5; 360-1 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG755.
<2> Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 25, 29 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3356.
<3> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 27, No. 226 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<4> Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A, 03/2010, Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty (Collection/Project Archive). SHG25133.
<5> Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust, 2009, Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25134.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Pathways into the Past: Milton. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. Digital. Site 12.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: ISSFC. 1902. 'Excursion to Balnagown and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club Vol. 5 1895-9, p.359-64. Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club. 359-64. Vol 5; 360-1.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 25, 29.
- <3> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 27, No. 226.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Robinson, B; Scott, M; Wright, A. 03/2010. Highland Kirkyards: Ross and Cromarty. Highland Buildings Preservation Trust. 29/07/2010. Paper (Original).
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Highlands Buildings Preservation Trust. 2009. Photographs of Ross and Cromarty Kirkyards. Colour. . Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7498 7611 (37m by 37m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:3755 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3755 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14581 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.