MHG3231 - Cameron Barracks, Perth Road, Inverness

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • BARRACKS (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Cameron Barracks, Perth Road, Inverness, was a purpose-built infantry depot constructed between 1876 and 1884. The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders moved into the complex on 1886. The barracks was built in the Scots Baronial style and comprises four two-storey blocks enclosing three sides of the parade ground. The north-west and west blocks each have twin conical drum towers linked by a balcony over the entrance. The NE block has a clock-tower.
The complex is the best-preserved 19th-century regimental depot surviving. Humorous articles in the regimental magazine suggest that the barrack drains were poorly planned and required frequent clearing. The complex is still in military use.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 6796 4554 (265m by 315m)
Map sheet NH64NE
Civil Parish INVERNESS AND BONA
Geographical Area INVERNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.