MHG3231 - Cameron Barracks, Perth Road, Inverness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BARRACKS (19th Century to 21st Century - 1801 AD to 2100 AD)
Cameron Barracks, Perth Road, Inverness, was a purpose-built infantry depot constructed between 1876 and 1884. The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders moved into the complex on 1886. The barracks was built in the Scots Baronial style and comprises four two-storey blocks enclosing three sides of the parade ground. The north-west and west blocks each have twin conical drum towers linked by a balcony over the entrance. The NE block has a clock-tower.
The complex is the best-preserved 19th-century regimental depot surviving. Humorous articles in the regimental magazine suggest that the barrack drains were poorly planned and required frequent clearing. The complex is still in military use.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project, 2013. <1> <2> <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Gifford, J. 1992. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. Paper (Original). 192-3.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 75251.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 52-3, table 23.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 792.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6796 4554 (265m by 315m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2200:15:0::::BUILDING:35340 (View listed building information on Historic Scotland's website (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB35340 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/75251 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.