MHG32426 - Radar Station - South Sutor
Part of the Second World War Cromarty defences.
Type and Period (1)
- RADAR STATION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
NH86NW 13.00 centred 8064 6692
A Chain Home Low radar station situated on the hill above the South Sutor coast battery (MHG8373).
Information from Mr I Brown, November 1998
This Chain Home Low Radar Station is situated on the hilltop above the South Sutor coast battery (NH86NW 11.00). The site has been partly demolished and only one engine room and two Light Anti-aircraft positions with the foundations of other buildings were extant on the date of visit.
A post-war 1950s underground Royal Observor Corps (MHG36392) post has been built on the same site.
J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.2, 94, Vol.3, 52-3
All that remains of this Radar Station is one brick built building on the summit of the hill above the coast battery (MHG8373). The radar station is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK 751, 6035-6036, 31 August 1945), set within a rectangular fenced enclosure. Visible are transmitter (Tx) and receiver (Rx) blocks within blast walls, a stand-by set house (electricity generating), a possible reserve set house with several ancilliary buildings. No masts can be seen on the photographs, which would suggest that they either did not exist or had been removed by this date.
The whole installation along with the coast battery is situated within an outer barbed-wire fence.
Visited by RCAHMS, (DE, GS, JG), August 2000
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <1>
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 94, Vol.3, 52-3.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 138980.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 582. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8063 6693 (169m by 180m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/138980 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.