MHG3326 - Short Cist - South Clunes, Kiltarlity
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH54SE 15 5560 4151.
NH 5560 4151 (Visited by OS field surveyor 1 November 1967) In March, 1933, a short cist containing a contracted burial and beaker, was found on the croft by James Forbes, South Clunes (No.6 South Clunes, Kirkhill, Kiltarlity, Inverness). The site was in a gravelly ridge. The cist was formed of six slabs set on edge and covered with 5 irregular flat stones all of probably local micaceous schist. The beaker was intact, but the bones (presented to the Anatomy Museum, Aberdeen) were fragmentary.
A Low 1934.
This cist survives in good order. Oriented ENE- WSW, it measures 0.9m x 0.5m x 0.3m deep. It has been covered with a stone for protection. Surveyed at 1/2500
Visited by OS (J B) 28 July 1975
Human remains are listed in the University of Aberdeen Museum catalogue under Acc. No. ABDUA:36700, and the Beaker under ABDUA:14262. These can be searched on their online catalogue and image library, or see External links. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. Vol. 2, 517, No. 1666.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hanley, R and Sheridan, A. 1994. 'A beaker cist from Balblair, near Beauly, Inverness District', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 124, pp 129-39. p 137.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 14, No. 77.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Hunt and Inglis, C and J. 1986. Beakers held in the Anthropological Museum. SHG23463. 29-32. 31.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Low, A. 1934. 'A short cist containing a beaker at Kirkhill, Kiltarlity, Inverness- shire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol 68 (1933-34), pp 128-31.
- <1> Collection/Finds Collection: University of Aberdeen. 2020. University of Aberdeen Museums and Collection Catalogue. ABDUA:36700 & 14262.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5560 4151 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- https://calm.abdn.ac.uk/museums/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=ABDUA%3a14262&pos=1 (View online accession register entry (Beaker))
- https://calm.abdn.ac.uk/museums/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=ABDUA%3a36700&pos=1 (View online accession register entry (Human remains))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12711 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.