MHG3328 - Allt Na Cardich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- RING CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH54SE 13 58 43.
'There is a group of three mounds at Alt-na-Cardich (NH 5843) in Kirkhill. The easterly one measures 18 yards in diameter and 7 feet in height, with an inner circle of 6 yards in diameter. There are only a very few stones in their original positions. There is one 9 yards distant from the outer circle, measuring 7 feet 7 inches by 6 feet 6 inches; but it would be rash to state that it formed part of a third circle. The next mound, which is 8 yards to the south-west of the first, does not exceed 4 feet in height. It contains the remains of a circular cist in the centre. The inner circle of this mound is 13 yards in diameter, and the outer one 21 or 22 yards in diameter. In the other circle there are at least eight stones in position. The third mound, which lies 28 yards north-west from the second, is about 6 feet in height, and very much overgrown with furze, but three circles are traceable on it. The inner circle is 14 yards in diameter, the second 20 yards and the outer 30 yards. On the east side of this mound lies a boulder measuring 7 feet by 4 feet.' (These descriptions do not refer to the cairns on 'Blar-nam-Feinne' ( NH 54 SE 12 ) which the author has already dealt with.)
T Wallace 1886.
From Wallace's description these cairns are apparently Clava-type.
A S Henshall 1963.
No trace of these cairns could be found in the area around Alt -na- Cardich.
Visited by OS (R D) 21 December 1964.
No change to previous field report. Local enquiries produced no further information.
Visited by OS (R L) 13 April 1970.
- --- SHG1192 Text/Publication/Article: Wallace, T. 1886. Notes on ancient remains in the Beauly Valley, Inverness-shire. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 20. 340-55. 350.
- --- SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 1.
- --- SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 359.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5799 4300 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12709 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.