MHG3331 - Moniack Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CUP MARKED STONE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH54SE 10 552 436.
(Area NH 552 436) There is a cup-marked stone in the rockery at Moniack Castle, It stands at the end of the rockery next to the entrance gate, and is an erect block of hard grey gneiss, 2' x2' with at least 19 well formed cups, the largest being 5" across. It is on loan to Miss Campbell of Moniack Castle, and came from an old dike, which is the march between the farm of Mr. Yule of Maryburgh, near Dingwall,and Bakerhill of Brahan (Information from Seaforth to Rev Dr. Joass, Golspie: June 1880)
W Jolly 1882
No trace of this stone could be found.
Visited by OS (R D) 21 December 1964
- --- SHG1317 Text/Publication/Article: Jolly, W. 1882. On cup-marked stones in the neighbourhood of Inverness; with an appendix on cup-marked stones in the Western Islands. Proc Soc Antiq Scot Volume 16. 300-401. 339-40; fig. 43.
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 17, No. 124.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5519 4359 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12706 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.