MHG33350 - Hanging Bowl - Castle Tioram
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
- None recorded
MHG4028 - Castle
NM67SE 1 6621 7243.
Castle Tioram (NR) (In ruins).
OS 6"map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1901)
The castle on Eilean Tioram is first mentioned in a charter of 1372. It was garrisoned by the government in the E 18th century and burned down in 1715. It consists of a massive pentagonal curtain wall. Occupying the whole summit of the rock, within which is a range of stone buildings of which the earliest is the keep, 16th century; the South range was added about 1600 followed by later additions and modifications (Simpson 1954).
Before 1928 the remains of a 5th c bronze hanging-bowl were recovered from a kitchen-midden at Tioram. It is 6 1/2" in diameter and spun from a single piece of bronze. Now in the West Highland Museum (Kilbride-Jones 1937).
W D Simpson 1954; M E M Donaldson 1923; H E Kilbride-Jones 1937.
Castle Tioram, as described and planned by Simpson. About 8.0m NW of the gable of the castle is a cleft in the rock which has almost certainly been used as a midden for the castle, otherwise no further information regarding the find spot of the hanging bowl which is still in the West Highland Museum.
Visited by OS (R L) 3 June 1970.
The hanging-bowl dates within the 5th to 8th centuries but is late, perhaps 7th century.
Information from R B K Stevenson, Keeper, NMAS.
The hanging bowl rim is on display at West Highland Museum. WHM 110. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Kilbride-Jones, H E. 1937. 'A bronze hanging bowl from Castle Tioram, Moidart: and a suggested absolute chronology for British hanging bowls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 71 (1936-37), pp 206-47. p 207-9; illust..
- <1> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: 2019. Finds Collection at West Highland Museum. WHM 110.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6621 7243 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- HANGING BOWL (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22511/castle-tioram (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.