MHG3360 - Findspot of symbol stone, Garbeg
A fragment of Pictish Stone, found during the excavation of a cairn in 1974. Now in Inverness Museum.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE (Pictish to Early Medieval - 300 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH53SW 15.1 5110 3222
'This fragment found during the excavation of a small cairn in 1974 is now in Inverness Museum (Acc No 974.75); a thin slab of sandstone, it bears a fragmentary crescent and V-rod.'
RCAHMS 1985; L M M Wedderburn and D M Grime 1975. <1><2>
Included in a catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery, original version 1994, updated 2010. Found within a disturbed stone cairn. The left hand portion of a crescent & V-rod symbol, with lobed infill inside the crescent. The top of a symbol of uncertain type sits below the right point of the V-rod. It may represent the mane of a Pictish Beast facing right.<3><4>
The stone is listed under Acc. No. 1974.075 in the Inverness Museum catalogue. <5>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Drumnadrochit, Garbeg, Pictish stone. Colour Slide. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Drumnadrochit, Garbeg, Pictish stone, line drawing. Colour Slide. .
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Alcock, E A. 1991. 'Pictish stones class I: where and how?', Glasgow Archaeol J Vol. 15 1988-89, p.1-21. Glasgow Archaeol J. 1-21. 19.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Jackson, A. 1984. The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Drumnadrochit, Garbeg, Pictish stone. Unknown. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Drumnadrochit, Garbeg, Pictish stone, line drawing. Unknown. .
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wedderburn and Grime, L M M and D M. 1984. The cairn cemetery at Garbeg, Drumnadrochit, Brit Archaeol Rep Vol. 125. SHG23462. 151-68. 231.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 12.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: Hanley, R G. 1994. A catalogue of the Class I Pictish symbol stones in the collections of Inverness Museum and Art Gallery. 11.
- <4> Text/Publication/Booklet: Inverness Museum. 2010. A Catalogue of the Pictish Symbol Stones at Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Paper (Copy).
- <5> Collection/Catalogue: Inverness Museum & Art Gallery. Inverness Museum & Art Gallery Accession registers. 1974.075.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5109 3221 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND GLENMORISTON|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12634 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.