MHG3395 - Dun - Castle Spynie
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- DUN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- (Former Type) BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
NH54SW 9 5414 4204.
(NH 5414 4204) Castle Spynie (NAT)
OS 25" map, (1969)
Castle Spynie is described by Feachem (R W Feachem 1963) as a broch with outworks, and by Anderson (G Anderson 1857) and MacKenzie (G Mackenzie 1857) as a fort.
Anderson states that from the middle of the N side of the fort itself are indications of a second wall, with below it a ditch which curves around the whole of the NE and E sides. This ditch has an outer breastwork composed of a line of large upright stones. About a dozen pieces of vitrification were found between these stones and the fort. Below this is another ditch, four or five feet deep, fronted by a mound of earth and stones.
G Anderson 1857; G Mackenzie 1857
Castle Spynie is a near-circular dun, measuring about 19.5m overall, occupying the summit of a prominent rocky hill. The outer face is visible intermittently amidst tumble around the whole periphery to a maximum height of 1.0m, and the inner face can be seen in the SW arc to a height of 0.8m, indicating a wall thickness of about 4.0m. The entrance in the SW, 1.0m wide, has been cleared of stones, and the SE side rebuilt.
Around the NE and SW sides of the dun at a lower level, are traces of outworks, overgrown with bracken and trees, which appear to have connected with natural out-crop and cliff to form a complete, encircling, outer defence. In the NE is a curving line of boulders, some of which are displaced, fronted by two walls which are reduced to stony banks of indeterminate thickness. Only at the extreme S end of the outer wall where it connects with the cliff can the outer face be seen. Nothing is visible of the ditches described by Anderson and MacKenzie, nor of the second wall from the middle of the N side of the dun.
Some 30.0m SW of the dun is a curving ditch, c. 4.0m wide and c. 1.0m maximum depth, the N part of which incorporates outcrop on its inner side. Immediately to the N of this is a discontinuious line of at least four boulders which partially block the only logical means of access to the dun.
There is no trace of vitrifaction on or around the site, and the present remains of the dun itself indicate beyond doubt that it was not a timber-laced structure.
See 1:1250 enlargement.
Visited by OS (N K B) 9 December 1970
Broch, Castle Spynie: The remains of what is probably a broch occupy the summit of a rocky knoll 600 m WNW of Leanach. It measures 11 m in diameter within a wall 4.3 m thick; the entrance is on the SW. There are outworks on the N and SW.
Castle Spynie has some of the prerequisites of a broch in that it is roughly circular, 19.0 m in diameter over all and has an unboubted wall thickness of 4.2 m in the SSE. However, the outer face of the wall lacks in the base courses any massive or large stones expected in supporting a relatively high wall; also the wall exterior is grounded on the slope about 1m below interior level, a mode of construction commonly observed in duns. Furthermore, the amount of debris around and at the base of the structure is commensurate with a dun rather that a broch.
On balance, in the absence of evidence of mural chambers and / or galleries, a dun is the appropriate classification.
Visited by OS (J M) 6 Feburary 1981.
The monument comprises the remains of a broch, measuring overall 19.5m in diameter within a wall measuring 4.0m wide and 1.0m high with inner and outer faces occasionally visible. The entrance is in the south west. Below the broch on the north east is an outer defence consisting of a line of boulders and a rampart and ditch. To the south west of the broch another ditch provides added defence.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated March 1989.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Mackenzie, G. 1857. 'Notice regarding the vitrified site of Castle Spynie, Inverness-shire. Extract from a letter dated Coul, 6th August 1825', Archaeol Scot Vol. 4 1857, p.190-1. Archaeol Scot. 190-1. 189-91.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J. 1996. An Archaeological Survey of Proposed Native Pinewood Plantations and Exclosures in Glenfeshie. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. 01/01/1996. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Scott Wilson Resource Consultants. 2000. Glenfeshie Estate: Woodland Grant Scheme Application. Scott Wilson. 30/05/2000. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Feachem, R W. 1963. A Guide to Prehistoric Scotland. 1st. 164.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 17, No. 100.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, G. 1857. 'Description of the vitrified station of Castle Spynie, in Inverness-shire. Extract from a letter to Dr Hibbert, dated October 23, 1823', Archaeol Scot Vol. 4 1857, p.188-90. Archaeol Scot. 188-90. 188-9; plan 189.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5414 4204 (87m by 91m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4653 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4653 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12751 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.