MHG3402 - Defensive Earthern Banks, Castle Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Undated)
- None recorded
OS 25"map, (1968)
A mediaeval defensive earthwork occupying the SE extremity of Castle Hill, a steep sided glacial ridge and overlooking the River Beauly.
It consists of two earthen banks with medial ditch which cross the ridge isolating an area measuring c.40.0.m NE- SW, by transversely c.13.0m in the NE and c.7.0m in the SW. The inner bank measures c.3.0m wide and c.0.5m high in the SW widening to c.7.5m wide and c.1.2m high in the NE. The ditch is c.3.5m wide and c.0.7m deep in the SW increasing to c.5.0m wide and c.1.2m deep in the NE. The outer bank c.2.0m wide and c 0.2m high in the SW is barely discernible in the NE.The inner bank turns and follows the lip of the natural slope in the NE, where it is c.3.5m wide and c.0.4m high. There is no trace of artificial defences on the SE and SW sides, and the interior is featureless. The banks and ditch terminate before reaching the natural slopes in the SW leaving a gap c.2.5m wide which is probably the entrance.
Traditionally the earthwork was dug by the Duke of Cumberland after Culloden to protect his guns when bombarding Beaufort Castle (NH54SW 4) but is also alleged to protect a ford at the foot of the ridge (Name Book 1872). The latter supposition is probably correct. The layout of the earthwork is not conducive to a bombardment of the castle, as it faces the wrong way.
Visited by OS (N K B) 11 January 1968
- --- SHG1131 Text/Publication/Article: Yeoman, P A. 1988. 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33. Scot Archaeol Rev. 125-33. 131, no. 89.
- --- SHG2673 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 27, no. 204.
- --- SHG3381 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 49, 8.
- --- SHG7427 Image/Photograph(s): Henge, 'castle hill', Muir of Ord, damaged. Digital Image. .
- --- SHG9742 Image/Photograph(s): Henge, 'Castle Hill', Muir of Ord. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG9748 Image/Photograph(s): Henge, 'Castle Hill', Muir of Ord. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG9754 Image/Photograph(s): Henge, 'Castle Hill', Muir of Ord. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG9759 Image/Photograph(s): Henge, 'Castle Hill', Muir of Ord. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- SHG9760 Image/Photograph(s): Henge,'Castle Hill', Muir of Ord. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5092 4360 (106m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12744 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.