MHG3410 - Phoineas Hill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORT (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC to 900 AD)
NH54SW 11 5335 4255.
At NH 5335 4255 is a fort (E Meldrum, 22 Beaufort Rd, Inverness) consisting mainly of a stone wall built across the SW approach to the summit of a rocky hill. The wall thus isolates an uneven area 120.0m NE-SW by 80.0m protected by precipitous cliffs on the N and E. The wall, averaging 3.0m wide, has been extensively robbed, but a line of boulders on edge of the outer face, and one or two of the inner face, survive for a length of c. 35.0m, with traces of rubble core extending from either end as far as the commencement of the cliff. An entrance roughly central to the SW side is denoted by a gap about 3.5m wide with the SE side flanked by a line of six boulders which project forward for 2.0m from the outer face, indicating the former existence of a forework of which no other trace survives. In the W corner is another gap about 2.0m wide which may be another entrance, but could be due to robbing.
Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.
Visited by OS (I S S) 9 April 1973.
This site is included in the Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland online database. See link below for site entry. <1>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of North-east Inverness, Inverness District, Highland Region. . 16, No. 97.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: Lock, G. & Ralston, I.. 2017. Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland. SC2887.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5336 4254 (128m by 110m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (4)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4729 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://hillforts.arch.ox.ac.uk/records/SC2887.html (Link to online Atlas of Hillforts of Britain and Ireland site entry)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4729 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12735 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.